Ring of Light
April 16, 2006 Leave a comment
One of my posts at "香港 (Hong Kong) 地區 Xbox 討論區" dated "04-16-2006, 2.23PM":
The "Ring of Light" seems to remain a mystery, so I have put together some documentation here:
The controller Xbox Guide button and the console Power button are both surrounded by the Ring of Light, which is made up of four quadrants. When a controller is connected to your console, it is assigned a quadrant, which glows green to indicate the controller’s position. As more controllers are added, each quadrant of the console glows green to reflect
the added controller’s number. The Ring of Light on the console will also flash combinations of red if there are system problems.
1st player corresponds to the upper-left quadrant, 2nd player to upper-right, and so on…
The lights in the console Ring of Light should glow solid while the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system is on and flash when you press the Eject button. If the Ring of Light flashes differently during operation, the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system has an internal problem:
- Four lights on console flash red: Check your AV cable.
- Two left lights on console flash red: The Xbox 360 console is too hot and will not play games until cooled down. Place the Xbox 360 console in a well-ventilated area away from other heat sources. Once the console cools, the flashing will stop and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system can be played.(…)
- Four lights on controller periodically flash green: No Ring of Light quadrant assignment. The controller is not connected or all four quadrants are full.
- All other patterns: Internal problem requires service. Contact Xbox Customer Support.
Support by Knowledgebase:
- One red light flashes on the Ring of Light
- Two red lights flash on the Ring of Light
- Three red lights flash on the Ring of Light
- Four lights flash red on the Ring of Light
- One red light flashes on the Ring of Light and you receive an error message
- Console lights do not change orientation when you change the console orientation
- One red light flashes on the Ring of Light, and you receive error E67
(* Source: Official Xbox 360 User Manual)