March 21, 2006 Leave a comment
One of my posts at "Xbox Live香港(Hong Kong)討論區", dated "10-29-2005, 2:33 AM":
Questions by "XboxLive05":
I am trying to learn exactly how the Xbox Live works. I understand you need an ISP, a subscription to Live and a router to connect the console to the service, am I missing anything? Am I connected to the internet or is there a special gaming network that I am plugged into? Do you have to pay the ISP a subscription fee as well as buying Live enabled games and a Live subscription?
You should get all information when reading all in this thread as well as following the links; this one in particular:
What you will need:
- Xbox Console
- Xbox Live enabled game
- Xbox Live subscription (you can also use one of the trial cards provided with some games)
– The headset is not necessary if you don’t want to chat as you still can listen to others
– If you want a new subscription, you can buy it bundled with headset for better value
- High-speed (broadband, dsl, adsl, cable… it has many names) Internet access
– The box that the Internet provider gives you to hook up the line with your pc works fine with the Xbox console. Plug in a LAN (network) cable or use a wireless adapter to hook up the console with that Internet connection box.
– IF it is a router sharing the connection, you are set to go
– IF it is just a hub and your pc makes a dial-up everytime you go online, you can either make a dial-up with console to go Live (and then not be able to use pc at same time) or share the Internet connection if you got WindowsXP).
– IF you need to dial-up, you may as well get a router who dials up for you and then plug all Internet devices in your house (pc, console…) into the router as all can go online at the same time.
– Might as well be that the Internet provider’s box is a router itself, then no problem either.
So find out what you already got from your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and check with the documents mentioned in the postings above.
Once the network setup is ok, you can test your Live connection even without a Live account.
To create a Live account, check here: Account Creation.